Saturday, February 21, 2009

Winter Road Biking

Rick and I are planning on riding a century (100 miles) at the beginning of Spring Break, so we are trying to get as much time in the saddle before then to prepare for it. Unfortunately, it's still a bit chilly outside so we really have to bundle up when we ride. It's easy to put on a couple of shirts and a warm jacket, warm gloves, winter hats, even double layers of biking pants, but our feet are hard to bundle up. Our biking shoes are made for warmer weather so they are ventilated to let the air flow through and keep our feet cool. That doesn't work very well when it's cold outside. Rick has a pair of neoprene booties that he cut out to fit over his biking shoes, but I don't have those, so we've gotten a little creative. As a preface to what we did today, on our first ride I didn't have anything but one pair of socks and my biking shoes. My toes FROZE. So on our second ride, I put a plastic bag over my socks and inside my shoes to cut out the wind. My feet were a little warmer, but my toes still FROZE. Today, we put our heads together and decided to insulate my shoes, so I put an old pair of wool socks on the outside of my shoes and Rick then covered them with duck tape. I was afraid that my feet would get too warm, but with only 41 degree weather, sadly my toes FROZE even worse today than the other two days. Here's what my space age shoes looked like:

I know, I'm sure I looked like a total dork, but then to make it more funny (for me anyway), I was listening to my iPod and for some reason I had five different renditions of "Carol of the Bells" on it that played in a row! So I was freezing while listening to Christmas music. Rick actually got cold, too, so we only were able to ride 23 miles today before we had to stop and get warm.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Might need to break down and get some booties yourself, or get some warmer riding shoes. (the booties would be cheaper)

OR pour hot water in your shoes before you leave LOL

Shelli said...

I love your shiny silver bike shoes! Hilarious picture, too bad that plan didn't work and your feet were still cold! Trev agrees with Scott that you need to break down and get booties for your tootsies too!

Tami said...

You guys are awesome! I didn't realize that you were doing a century ride so soon. Very cool! Love the shoes

Leslie said...

I think it's so great you have this goal to work toward. It definitely gets you out on a cold day, no slacking off for the Halversons!!