Monday, March 23, 2009

Headwinds, 11 Cents, and Energy Gel

Rick and I have our first century (100 miles) bike ride this week, and we are desperately trying to get ready for it. We needed to get one more long ride in today to condition our bodies, but of course, the weather was terrible for riding. We rode up and over Clodfelter towards Plymouth with a 15 mph headwind going up that long, long hill (and some much stronger gusts). It never fails -- we always encounter headwinds when we ride. There was one point on a very steep stretch where I was only going 4.2 mph!! I probably could have gotten off my bike and pushed it up the hill faster than I was riding.
When I was going up that steep stretch, I noticed a penny on the ground and then a dime. Anyone who knows me knows that I always pick up pennies when I see them. I was struggling so hard riding up that hill that I didn't stop to pick up that 11 cents. It was killing me to pass it up, but I knew it would have been too difficult to get started again. Rick even slowed down when he saw the money thinking I would stop to pick it up.
Going back down the hill, I hit a top speed of 42 mph going down that stretch that slowed me to 4.2 going up. 10 times faster! What a rush! (Take THAT Clodfelter!) When I got to the point where the money was, I was still going around 30 mph and didn't have the heart to stop for that 11 cents. (Can you tell it still bothers me that it's laying in the road just waiting to be found?)
Now, here's the energy gel story: Rick made his own homemade version of "Power Gel" with brown rice syrup, black strap molasses, honey, and a little salt. It tastes like liquid black licorice and was almost sickening when I first tried it, but now I'm used to the taste and it gives me the BEST instant energy. Plus, it's so much cheaper than the store brands.
We rode for 3 hours today, and I could have kept going and going. The good news is that I think I'm ready for our century ride this weekend!

4 comments:

CarrieAnne said...

I never knew you were so into biking! Good luck with the century ride.

Leslie said...

Good for you for training in this weather! Egli and I are doing a half century in Sept. Maybe next year we'll join you for the real deal....but there's no way I'd be ready for one this early in the year. I am not a die hard like you. You are no longer memo....your offical new nickname is "Die hard".

Shelli said...

Good luck on your ride! If I would have seen wind, a steep hill, and 11 cents, I would not have lasted on that bike ride. You go girl!

Tami said...

You are awesome! That energy drink sounds horrible but very inventive. I can't wait to hera about your century ride!!