Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Jan 7th - Spring Started Today!

Instead of Christmas in July, I had a birthday in January! For my birthday this year (which is not until July) Rick bought me a new mountain bike which just arrived yesterday! I didn't want to have to wait until July to use it, so we took it out for a spin today. With 60 degree weather and sunshine, who could resist? We went out to the Chamna Natural Reserve by the Yakima River and rode around for about 45 minutes. The winds outside the protected reserve howled at about 30-40 mph, but it was calm and beautiful behind the protection of the trees.
Sporting new bike racks so we can take my car instead of the Yukon when we want to go biding. For the most part, the trails were still wet and muddy from the melted snow, but we hit this one long patch of ice that was harder to get around than we anticipated. Both Rick and I had to get out and walk our bikes, while still slipping and sliding. I actually fell over while trying to ride across the ice and Rick stepped in a very chilly puddle while trying to walk across the ice.
Finally away from the ice, this is the Peninsula Loop trail that goes along the River. It was very beautiful with the dried grass all along both sides. BTW, the new bike worked great until the very last 10 yards (literally) when I got a flat tire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least the flat didn't happen in the first few minutes of your ride. I hate it when that happens. Dang flat tires, they sure can ruin a ride!

Anonymous said...

You guys are hard core! I am glat that the trees blocked the wind for you! I love it that you and Rick get to bike together so much. What a great birthday present! Looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Theresa! In our little flock of friends, you just never know when someones birthday might pop up!